Sunday, April 18, 2010

Review: Wake by Lisa McMann



This is the second book in a row that I've devoured in one day, though it is far shorter than April & Oliver. I managed to read the entire thing in about 3 hours, give or take.

The book size fits perfectly in my hand, so it was a real joy to read, ergonomically. This is an important point for me, because the more I read on my iTouch, the more hardback books feel heavier and harder to read in bed. But Lisa McMann's first book in this series is smaller (eyeballing it at about 6" x 4") and thus more enjoyable to hold.

The design cover, too, is fantastic. It's minimalist and striking, just like her writing style. And though I've been known to give up on books with this kind of style before, it really works in this book. A lot is left to the imagination, to interpretation, and I love that.

The characters are engaging, though I found myself frustrated a few times at the misunderstanding between Janie and Cabel. The storyline is absorbing, if a little straightforward, but this is a young adult novel, after all. The tension between Janie and Cabel is realistic yet romantic. The dream sequences are fairly believable, though I don't know of one person who dreams about the same things nightly, let alone an entire town of them.

Still, Wake was an enjoyable, fast read. Great fare for a sunny Sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment