Friday, April 16, 2010

Review: April & Oliver by Tess Callahan


Rare is the day when I find the time to read a book cover to cover, but inexplicably, April & Oliver caught my interest and imagination like nothing I've read in the past several months (sorry Mr. Gaiman, sorry Ms. Austen).

First and foremost, a confession: I blatantly judge books by their covers. I'm a designer, it's in my dna. As you can see, the cover of April & Oliver is gorgeous. The hazy image of the sea (representing the relationship of the two characters) along with the beautifully simple typography is sophisticated and beguiling.

I could say the same about the prose, as it immediately draws you into the world of April and her crumbling world. Her younger brother (who she raised from infancy) just died from a car accident, her abusive ex-boyfriend is stalking her, and her childhood love has just moved back to town with his perfect fiancee. Naturally, the troubled April is on a downward spiral that Oliver (with a bulging hero-complex) feels he must try to prevent, despite their palpable chemistry. And in that regard, the novel shines, and you can't help but root for the two to get back together despite the insurmountable odds.

The book, though, is surprisingly dark. This is no beach-read, fluffy love story. This is a gritty, secret-charged story and I found myself wanting to give up on April (and on a certain extent, Oliver) many times over for the poor choices she continues to make.

As I was reading, I made up my mind to buy this book and add it to my collection of favorites. But alas, as I turned the last page, I completely changed my mind. I understand that this is a "realistic" love story, and that in the real world, endings do not always have a happily ever after. But Tess Callahan chose to end this story in the most frustrating way possible, and in the interest of not ruining the ending for you, I'll just say that it left much to be desired. And honestly, I cannot stand books that leave me hanging. Give me good, heck, give me bad, but don't leave me with nothing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment