Thursday, April 22, 2010

Dreaming of the perfect writing room...

Right now, my writing space consists of half a round table in the living room and my chair is an abused dining chair that needs re-covering. It's convenient in that I can keep an eye on the kid while I write, but it's also in the same room as the obnoxiously large flat screen t.v., as well as said kid, so it's near impossible to form a coherent thought, let alone string enough to form a novel.

So while I'm procrastinating on editing my novel, I'll daydream a little and describe my perfect writing room. Yes, ROOM, because in my perfect house, I will have a whole separate room for writing and another room for artful and crafty pursuits. I'll also have my own gym complete with weights, a treadmill, and a spin bike, but that's neither here nor there.

Back to my perfect writing room...

It will have eggshell walls, light and serene. Because I'm old school sometimes (and I find it easier to keep writing) I write most of my stories by hand. Thus I will need a handwriting desk, like so...


In front of the desk, the wall will be painted with grey magnetic chalkboard paint so I can write ideas on the wall (how awesome would it be to write on walls when the fancy strikes?) and also attach pictures of my characters with magnets. I'm a visual person, so seeing the character in front of me helps with the writing.

Smack dab in the middle of the room will be a huge, dark wood desk. It will be the size of a small country, antique, and totally ostentatious. Because I like to spread out in style.


My chair will be leather, red, on wheels, and will be wide enough that I can sit cross-legged on it comfortably.


In the corner, by a floor lamp will be a red leather club chair with matching ottoman. It will be soft and well-used and a soft chenille blanket will hang on one arm.



And finally, flush against the wall, behind my mob boss desk, will be an enormous red bookcase to house my collection of books.


That ladder was not initially part of my imaginings, but it is now. Look at those details!

I've almost forgotten the most important detail of all: the room will be accessible to only me. It will be a place where I can escape, where I can hide away and find that elusive thought-inducing silence. It will be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment